Neitsytniemi Manor is known from the 16th century, when Christina, the Queen of Sweden, donated the land to a Latvian baron Reinhold von Ungern‐Sternberg. Afterwards the estate became a manor, whose owners experienced the Swedish and Russian regimes as well as the birth of travel, tourism and industrialism in Finland and along the Vuoksi river. The history of Neitsytniemi Manor is a significant part of Imatra’s history. The stories about the manor tell about life on the border of eastern and western cultures.
In the end of the 16th century the main estate of Siitola manor was turned into an office house for the chief of the Major’s company. Major Hindrich Turteltaube lived in Neitsytniemi from 1692-1730 and after him lived Lieutenant Carl Otto Furumarck until the "Lesser Wrath (1742-1743)". From the 1750s on the manor was governed by the Zilliacus family. Possibly the most renowned member of the Zilliacus family was Konrad (Konni) Viktor Zilliacus, a lawyer, writer, horse breeder and independency activist, who spent the holidays of his youth in Neitsytniemi. This is what he wrote:
"Nothing would compare to the wonderful summers in this remote Karelian corner. Healthy and brisk open air in Neitsytniemi gave a young person everything he could hope for. You could wander in the meadows, hunt for game in the thickets and most of all fish for salmon in Tainionkoski, Vuoksi, for which you cannot find an equal to anywhere in the world.”
It is worth mentioning that the Zilliacus family run the Siitola guesthouse from 1835-1840, and the old main building of the Manor would have served as the tavern at that time. The Zilliacus family sold the manor to baron Langenskiöld in 1887, who sold it in turn to the von Nottbecks a few years later. The Nottbecks arranged parties in the manor and spent a lot of time there during the summer months. The caretaker of the manor Juho Helminen tells the following about the life of the Nottbecks:
"Nottbecks lived a grand life. None of the locals were good enough to be invited to their parties, not even if many of them called themselves lords or sirs and they would have loved to sit around the dining table with the Nottbecks. Guests, who visited the manor when the host family happened to be around in summertime, were high noblemen, princes and princesses, barons and baronesses from Helsinki, St Petersburg or abroad. Grand ladies with gallant men. The amount of salmon in the Vuoksi river was unheard of. On a bad day the Nottbecks’ fish trap held 100 kilos of salmon. The catch was sold to Valtionhotelli. One of the Nottbeck brothers was studying in the Edison laboratory in America, and after his return to home he arranged electric lighting in the Finlayson factory, which was the first in our country. Nottbecks also started the motoring in Imatra three years after the Chamberlain Linder had brought the first car into Finland.”
There is no information about the earlier buildings of Neitsytniemi, only guesses about where the old buildings might have been located. It is not until in a drawing from 1884 it shows Tainionkoski, the end of the Neitsytniemi main building and the boat huts on the shore. When the old main building started decaying, the Nottbecks ordered drawings for a new building from Architect Karl August Wred in 1895. The new main building was built according to these plans around year 1900 and it still stands there, although there have been many changes made to it afterwards. The exterior has been preserved the same though.
The manor saw the life of many generations until in 1914 the forestry company Tornator and subsequently Enso-Gutzeit took the ownership. It was then used as residency for senior employees and directors. In 1984 the ownership of the Manor and adjacent land was transferred to Imatra city, after which the current main building built in 1900 was renovated for PR purposes and as a city museum. Since 2008 the Manor has been run by an entrepreneur in the catering and restaurant business.